cPanel should provide tools necessary to identify the source of outgoing spam
As System Administrator, I would like WHM/cPanel to provide the information necessary to identify potential spammers(excessive mailers) on my server as well as the method of authentication in a simple interface, not unlike the Mail Queue Manager interface.
Without this feature:
- Users must investigate via root SSH.
- Users must have a strong understanding of scripting on the command line or use potentially disastrous/malicious/inaccurate commands found online.
- Users must have a strong understanding of the exim log.
While I understand cPanel can't identify all spammy behavior, the techniques to identify spam on exim/cPanel systems has been relatively the same over the past ~10 years:
- Sorting email address' by authentication.
- Sorting sendmail's CWD by path.
- Sorting by user when sent via 'authenticated_local_user'
Ideally, this interface would link the Administrator to appropriate documentation or functions to mitigate the excessive mailing, such as the 'suspend_outgoing_email' function or password change functions.
I would be happy to see this feature set integrated into the existing eximstats/Queue Manager backend/interface. This would provide a great service to Administrators who find themselves in the difficult situation of diagnosing and regaining control of their server when suspected of sending spam or excessive mailing; which is an all too common occurrence in the industry for cPanel to ignore.