Email/Webmail - Overall improvement and auto login
I am really happy with cPanel software, but I have quite a few clients that have complained that cPanel webmail services are not as good as other providers, such as Google, Hotmail, Microsoft Hosted Exchange etc.... The main points they have made:
1. The login process is too complex with too many webmail options. For example, for someone that has a new account to get to their inbox, they have to click about 5 or 6 times. to try and help with this issue I have implemented that my server only runs Horde, and i have also adjust the horde login.inc to auto submit, and in the preferences for horde for it to take them to "mail" instead of "portal" after login. In general from most feedback I got, it is also confusing to the end user on how to enable "Auto Login".
- For this, I would like to request a feature which you can enable globally on a cPanel server, that allows the server admin fine tune the login process so that the end user can get to their webmail inbox with "one click". For example you could define that all users, once they enter in their webmail email, and password and click Login, they end up right in horde's inbox, or squirrelmail inbox.
2. Some people have commented that the user interfaces are extremely outdated and not nearly as good as other providers such as Google, Hotmail etc..
- Would be nice to see some more modern user interfaces. I know this is asking a lot for open source software, but it would really help small web hosting companies compete with larger ones.
3. Clients complain that there is no way to synchronize their calendar/contacts with a desktop email application like Outlook 2007, or Outlook 2010.
- Would be helpful if there were some type of synchronization software, that ran on desktop computers which provided synchronization between the email clients, and webmail, and mobile devices. I guess this would be extremely hard to implement because of so many webmail options, and email clients that are used. Would be very helpful for end users though.
Considering the reliability of the email services cPanel provides, I also have to inform my clients that my email services do not provide as reliable redundancy/failover as other service providers do like Google or Microsoft. For clients that require critical email systems, there is really no way I can recommend cPanel as a solution. It would be great if there were a way to cluster email services that cPanel provides between multiple servers and mx records. The problem is, when you ask most businesses if their email is "critical" these days they will say "yes". For now I tell my clients that cPanel is a great web hosting platform, but not so great for email. Which I feel is honestly true at this point in time.