cPanel & WHM Version 94 has been released, and brings a slew of great updates. Take a look at what is included, and then upgrade today!

MariaDB 10.5 support

B. Kp shared this idea 16 months ago
Planned

As a Database Administrator, I would like to have support for MariaDB 10.5 so that I can upgrade my existing database server.

============

I know it's still in BETA at the moment, but I want to make sure this request is logged and that it can be implemented as soon as it's possible.

10.5 will bring several improvements (https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-server-105/), as always, and some of them are of my interest. :)

Best Answer
photo

The issues that have been experienced with recent MariaDB releases have caused notable concern in terms of impact for our customers. As a result of this, we are spending some time investigating our options which is in part why it’s taken an extended amount of time to deliver the next MariaDB upgrade. At this time we plan to skip MariaDB 10.4 and begin offering MariaDB 10.5 in 2021.

Comments (20)

photo
2

It's actually currently in ALPHA stage, not even in BETA, but I surely want to see it implemented once it's stable.

Still waiting for the 10.4 stable which is already available.

https://features.cpanel.net/topic/maria-10-4-support

photo
4

Yes you are right but it's in beta now https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb-1051-release-notes/ :-)

I would kindly appreciate it if cPanel adds support for both 10.4 and 10.5 so we don't have to wait for 10.5 as long as we are waiting for 10.4 now...

photo
photo
4

MariaDB 10.5 is now RC with 10.5.3. cPanel really needs to speed up as it does not even support 10.4.

photo
2

Can someone from cpanel let us know if you plan to support 10.4 still or just skip it and go straight to 10.5?

photo
3

Hey cPanel,

Any plans to implement this yet? I think its essential now, given the delay in supporting 10.4!

photo
7

We are investigating skipping MariaDB 10.4 and going straight to 10.5, but this is still in the idea phase.

photo
4

I support that. There is no need to go through 10.4 when 10.5 is out. In fact, 10.4 is 1 year old version.

photo
photo
2

Magento v2.4 was released almost 2 months ago, this is a major update. Magento states MariaDB 10.2 is not tested or recommended. We really need an upgrade path to MariaDB 10.4+ so we can make sure our Magneto e-commerce websites are secure. Is cPanel any closer to implementing a newer version of MariaDB?

photo
1

Hello, what happens if I update to version 10.5 but cPanel only supports 10.3? When cPanel supports version 10.5 and I already have version 10.5 installed, will something happen? will I lose the database or what can happen?

photo
1

Don't try this. I tried to upgrade my servers from MariaDB 10.3 to MariaDB 10.4. Almost all MySQL features in cPanel are not working: user creation, password edition, user deleting, ...

photo
photo
1

There is a bug in MariaDB 10.3 that is fixed in 10.5. It is making our site unstable. See the following link for details:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/63244573

photo
7

Why do I have to use a version that dates back to 2018? I want to use the full potential of my server. It should not take that long. I have seen two pricing updates from cPanel but no MariaDB updates...

photo
2

The issues that have been experienced with recent MariaDB releases have caused notable concern in terms of impact for our customers. As a result of this, we are spending some time investigating our options which is in part why it’s taken an extended amount of time to deliver the next MariaDB upgrade. At this time we plan to skip MariaDB 10.4 and begin offering MariaDB 10.5 in 2021.

photo
1

Will you do it in version 94?

photo
5

Oh come on! We knew that it was not coming in 2020 but telling that you'll begin offering it in 2021 means nothing. When? Q4? Better be Q1...

photo
3

Can you elaborate on these concerns? Shouldn't it be up to each server admin to determine if the upgrade is right for them? Does the database running on the server affect how cPanel or WHM works? If that's true, we really need to get to a place where multiple mysql/mariadb instances can exist on a server simultaneously so that you're issues don't cause me issues and vice versa. I'm not sure if that's something cPanel can fix, but it's something I'd strongly recommend using you're market influence to push for since it's in your best financial interest to not have a system where people start looking elsewhere as a means to upgrade. (Not to mention that an sql selector per account would be a super rad function on it's own)

photo
1

"an sql selector per account (or per domain)" would be really something. Like, seriously, it would be a game changer.

photo
photo
12

This feature request was crated when cPanel 84 came out. 6th major release is about to happen and still no update to MariaDB. And I did not even cehck when MariaDB 10.4 request was made...

photo
1

Hello,


Cloudlinux already added support for MySQL Governor in MariaDB 10.5, any progress from the cPanel side on this?

photo
1

This feature is desperately needed. I have several servers stuck using an older version of mariaDB.

photo
3

Could you please tell me when do you plan to add this feature to the software. Or I think you better tell us what have you added to the software in the past 6 months that is worth mentioning other than the so-late-that-even-itself-is-dead-centos8 support!

photo
1

Hi cPanel, I have two comments on moderation, I'd like to know why they are still pending.

one is 4 months old and the other is 2 months old.

photo
1

They were on moderation because I am currently the only Community Manager and other things were taking a higher priority. I'm working through the backlog. I apologize for the wait.

photo
photo
2

It looks like this won't happen in version 96 either.

photo
2

I hope they will do it for 96 asap .. because it is badly needed .. this has simply taken to long and the plesk panel already supports it.

photo
4

We are currently working on support for MariaDB 10.5 which should available at the end of Q2/early Q3 with v98. We have been hesitant to provide a timeframe as a result of changes we were making internally to the product as well as an evaluation of our options that was being done prior to this year. We'll have a blog post that discusses these considerations and changes that were made in more detail available in the coming months as well.

photo
2

Thanks for updating Lauren. Hoping this actually comes to light!

photo
Leave a Comment
 
Attach a file